Teacher's Air Quality Resources
Air Quality Curriculum Resources
- Air Quality Index (AQI) Toolkit for Teachers – January 2009 - Compiled by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), this Toolkit provides teachers with easy-to-use and engaging lesson plans, additional activities, and other resources to teach students about the connections between air quality, health, weather, and other related science topics, as well as actions students can take to protect their health and reduce air pollution.
- Air Pollution: What's the Solution
An educational project for students, grades 6 - 12, that utilizes online real time data to guide student discovery of the science behind the causes and effects of ground level ozone in the context of an authentic real world problem.
- EPA's Environmental Education Center
Curricula and activities on a variety of air quality topics. Explore these links and find creative ways to teach your students about the environment.
Air Pollution Training Institute (APTI) Learning Management System
Teacher air quality training opportunities, K-12 resource materials and grants.
Activities and Materials
- Air Quality Index Kid's page By using three colorful chameleons, this Web site shows children how to moderate their activity to safely play outside when air pollution levels are elevated. Teacher's Materials (Ages 7-10)
- Clean Air for Kids When is the best day to go outside and play? Buster Butterfly shows you when the air is clean and it's good to play outside and when you should stay inside to play. (Ages 5-6)
- AirNow Students Page Learn about ozone, particle pollution and the Air Quality Index by viewing animations or by using the on-line air pollution simulator "Smog City 2". Teacher's Materials (Ages 11 and up)
- "10 Things Kids Can Do To Help the Environment" bookmark
Front (PDF, 1p., 777KB, about PDF)
Back (PDF, 1p., 756KB, about PDF)
- Picture Book: Why is Coco Orange? - Green day, great time to play. Learn what colors can tell you about the air.
- School Flag Program - The Air Quality Flag Program uses colored flags based on U.S. EPA's Air Quality Index (AQI) to notify teachers, students, school personnel and members of the community of air quality conditions.
Web sites for Teachers and Students
- Web sites for Teachers and Students A list of state and local air quality websites designed for teachers and students.
Air Quality Links
Air Quality Forecasts
Ozone and Particle Maps
What you can do about Ozone
What you can do about Air Pollution
What you can do about Climate Change
Ozone and your health (PDF, 2 pp., 2.5MB, about PDF)
Summertime Safety: Keeping Kids Safe from Sun and Smog (PDF, 2pp., 304KB, about PDF)